Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What you never knew you had.....

Well.....this month is going to mark the 2 year anniversary of my dad's death. It's true what they say, you know - You don't know what you have until it's gone. Throughout my childhood my dad always pushed me to get the best grades and to try to be the best I could be in sports. I remember getting in trouble for C's and him saying that a "B" means that you could have done better. I even chose my first college major, computer networking, just to please him. After graduating with the degree, which I hated, I ended up going back to get my accounting degree. During my pursuit of my accounting degree, he was still calling asking about my grades. There were plenty of times that I became physically and mentally sick, because I knew that I had to get an "A" just to here good job from him. I hated him for this!! It was so stressful and I think Gary was sick of putting up with me during school. I would always read my chapters - cry because I didn't think I could do the homework, then do it. Then I would study - cry because I thought I was going to fail, then pass. I HAD TO GET AN A IN EVERYTHING...

Other than pushing me in school, I made the mistake of telling him about going to the gym everyday. Then I graduated with my second degree he would always call asking if I was still working out in the morning. The days I didn't I would hear disappointment in his voice, which ate me up for the rest of the day...until the next phone call we had and I could tell him that I haven't missed a day. So, as one could tell something I enjoyed doing became another task in trying to please my dad. Don't get me wrong though - I loved my dad, but it was like a love-hate relationship.
However - now that he has been gone for two years, I really miss those phone calls and that pushing I use to get from him. I would love for him to know that I have been going to the gym for the past two years without hardly missing any days. I know that he would love to hear that I run in 5K's and 1/2 marathons......Here lately it's been hard to push myself to go to the gym (I'm still doing it though) because I don't have anyone pushing me, no one encouraging me to go, or no one patting me on the back saying "good girl".

Sorry - I'm just rambling on here....I just wanted to get all my thoughts down so hopefully I could quit thinking about it.
It's been two years and I really miss him. I miss everything he said to me, even though I hated it at the time - I understand everything now and want to hear it again. Love ya, dad!!

1 comment:

  1. Beth, your post is both sweet and sad. I know you must miss your dad more every day. But also know that he is keeping an eye on you and is awfully proud of you... no doubt about that.

    ReplyDelete