Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Paradise or Alcatraz??

Well as many of you know, I work for a large insurance company in Tennessee. This past Monday the department I work in moved into the new corporate headquarters. The people that do not work for this company call the new headquarters "The Golden City on a Hill"; however some of the people that actually work for this company call it "Alcatraz" (or "Camartraz"). Right now there are only 2,000 employees on the new campus out of 4,000 that are scheduled to be there when all of the construction is completed.

So far I only have a couple of complaints, basically all relating to privacy (the cubical walls are not very high). It does feel funny though working around so many people. For instance, this morning when I was walking from the garage to the main entrance, I felt like I was part of the herd of cattle that was being led into the field (so to speak). Sometimes when I am walking around on campus, I feel like we should all be in white spacesuits speaking in Orkan.

Buildings 5, 4 and 3 are the only ones completed - buildings 1 and 2 are still under construction. I cannot imagine what it is going to be like working and parking in the same garage with 4,000 people!! Anyway, once everything is complete the campus will contain a total of 5 buildings. Some perks in these buildings will include a Starbucks, Smoothie Bar, CVS, Medical Clinic, Credit Union and a gym. I think all of the construction will be completed in June and then all the tours for employee family members will begin. So, if anyone is interested just let me know and I'll keep you updated on when the tours will start.

Sorry - I didn't publish any photos, but the weather is bad so I didn't think the pics would turn out. I'll try to put some pictures out sometime next week.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!! That is amazing! A CVS and smoothie bar? And I can not even imagine 4000 people in one parking garage! I can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, that made me laugh! I sort of miss the opportunity to work up there. I bet it feels like you work for a new company? I have heard rumors of many rats in the bldgs. Watch out! haha
    I do look forward to visiting once they unlock the chains from the public. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, Matthew needs to move over there! Need any underwriters? :)

    ReplyDelete